- make the mundane world of public transport less mundane and more interesting
- give visual pleasure and inspiration during travel
- create a new image of the Dutch Railways
- integrate art, design and architecture
- show the societal cultural responsibility of the Dutch Railways
At the moment it is perhaps too much to ask for the Indonesian Railway Company (PTKA) to show any interest in the arts. Instead of art works, Indonesian stations are now full of cigarette advertisements that have encroached on the signage and even overshadowed PTKA’s own logo.
But at least PTKA has tried to brighten up some of its stations by painting them gaudy colours.